Many wrinkles are actually creases that have been worn into the skin by making the same expression thousands of times. These are called “expression lines” or wrinkles of motion. These wrinkles can add years to our appearance, often making us look angry, tired or unconfident when we are not.
Botox treatments provide a safe, non-surgical alternative for the reduction of frown lines, forehead wrinkles, crow’s feet, laugh lines, vertical neck lines, fine lip lines, and chin creases.
Botox has been used safely and effectively for over twenty-five years in adults to treat many medical conditions where overactive muscles require relaxation.
Dr. Curcio is a board-certified Dermatologist who completed a prestigious fellowship in Cosmetic and Laser Surgery. Dr. Curcio is an expert in the use and injection of botulinum toxins such as Botox® Cosmetic, Dysport® and Xeomin®. She treats physician peers, celebrities, models and those in the cosmetic industry. With injectable treatments, you are relying not only on the physician’s intimate knowledge of the science of the skin, but also on her aesthetic sense and ability to deliver a refreshed, natural result, without appearing overdone or “frozen”.
Dr. Curcio lectures annually at the American Society for Dermatologic Surgery on the Cosmetic Uses for Botox, Dysport, and Xeomin as well as other cutting edge treatments for modulating the nerves in the face for cosmetic purposes.
- Botox® Cosmetic
- Botox® Cosmetic the first botulinum toxin treatment approved for the treatment of glabellar lines (frown lines between the eyebrows) by the FDA in 2002. In 2013, Botox® Cosmetic received a second aesthetic indication for lateral canthal lines (crow’s feet). Botox® Cosmetic can help restore the rested, confident appearance you desire.
- Botox® Therapeutic
- Botox® Therapeutic is frequently used to control hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating) of the axillae (armpits) and palms, and occasionally other parts of the body. About one person in 100 has a serious problem with excessive sweating in these areas. This usually starts in childhood or adolescence. This kind of excess sweating is caused by a reflex reaction of the nervous system and is beyond voluntary control.
- Half of patients report that after one Botox® Therapeutic treatment they are free of excessive sweating for more than 7 months, and more than one third of patients are still free of excess sweating after one year. Because you continue to sweat normally in other areas, there is no concern about overheating.
- Curcio is a member of the International Hyperhidrosis Society and treats physician peers, celebrities, and athletes, including NFL players on a routine basis.
- Dysport® is the second botulinum toxin treatment approved for the treatment of glabellar lines (frown lines between the eyebrows) by the FDA in 2009. Dysport® can help restore the rested, confident appearance you desire.
- Xeomin® is the latest botulinum toxin treatment approved for the aesthetic treatment of glabellar lines (frown lines between the eyebrows) by the FDA in 2011. Xeomin® has been available nationwide since 2013. Xeomin® can help restore the rested, confident appearance you desire.
- What is Botox?
- Botox is a medicine made from a highly purified, naturally occurring protein which has the ability to very precisely relax the muscles to which it is applied. This relaxation lasts for a number of months, and then the treated muscles gradually return to their original condition.
- Botox does not affect the nerves responsible for sensation, so there is no numbness in the treated areas.
- How does Botox work?
- Botox starts to relax the treated muscles with a few days and the muscles reach their maximum degree of relaxation with a few weeks. The effects of Botox typically last 3-4 months and wear off gradually. If you have a subsequent treatment before your prior treatment has completely worn off, the subsequent treatment usually lasts longer, etc.
- Over time, the treated muscles stay relaxed and you will see your current wrinkles diminish over time and you can prevent new lines from forming, as well.
- What is a Botox treatment like?
- Botox treatments are quick and virtually pain-free. No sedation or local anesthetic is required. The actual treatment takes only a few minutes and is performed personally by Dr. Curcio, using the finest 32 or 31 gauge needles to maximize your comfort.
- A small amount of discomfort may be felt when the needle is inserted but it disappears within seconds. On a rare occasion a tiny bruise may occur, but this can be hidden with concealer and resolves in a few days.
- Botox Aftercare
- Do not touch or rub the treated areas for several hours after your Botox treatment. This avoids spreading the Botox out of the treated muscles into surrounding muscles and causing unintended relaxation of those muscles. This could cause eyelid droop, eyebrow droop or asymmetry of facial muscles. If these rare side effects do occur, they are temporary and usually resolve after a few weeks.
- What are the possible long-term side effects?
- There have been no long-term side effects, allergic reactions or health hazards related to BOTOX® use thus far. Some patients have been getting BOTOX® treatments on a regular basis for more than 15 years with no problems.
Dr. Curcio completed a prestigious fellowship in Cosmetic and Laser Surgery. With her extensive experience, she can personalize a treatment regimen to help you attain the best possible cosmetic result.
Make an appointment with Dr. Curcio to determine what treatment is right for you.